The Isle of Wedmore
Since Iron Age and Roman times, Wedmore has thrived on its ‘Isle’ rising out of the Somerset Levels. King Alfred brought the defeated Danish leader, Guthrum here to make ‘The Peace of Wedmore’ in 878. The ancient church overlooked the developing medieval village with its 13th century Borough market. It had its own gasworks in 1870 and an electric power company in 1908, well before some local towns. Wedmore is a busy, thriving village that still maintains its essential character and is surrounded by a series of attractive smaller villages and hamlets.